About Me

My photo
Live Oak, Florida, United States
My name is Sherry Millington and I work at the Suwannee River Regional Library, in Live Oak Florida, as the Technical Services Coordinator. My husband Paul and I live at River Watch, our old house on the Suwannee River. We share our lives with 6 dogs, 9 cats, 5 birds, a tank of tropical fish and Charlie the racoon (who lives in the kitchen). On the weekends the new love of our lives, 4 month old grandson Ayden, also joins us. Life is truly amazing on the banks of the Suwannee.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thing #8

I have to say, this was not nearly as much fun as Flickr but interesting none the less. Even though I have not done much IMing, I am familiar with the stuff discussed in this "Thing" and have used some of them in my library setting.
Email is by far the most prevalent tool used by our library staff. Along with computer generated forms and scanned documents, faxing between branch has been all but eliminated and phone calls have been significantly reduced. Since our 8 branches are spread over a large geographic area, with multiple telephone exchanges, email has become a budget friendly tool.
Webinars and web conferencing also play a major role in our staff training. Needless to say this advancement has saved both time and money for the library. I personally have used a variety of this type of communication tool, from Wimba to OPAL to Live Space and WebEx. For our library staff I would consider this to be the most important of the Web 2.0 communication tools.
I certainly see us using some of the other tools in the future but we just aren't there, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment